Affiliation, CV and Tasks
- 2014 – present
- Associate Professor with Tenure in Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing (MAT/08, 01/A5) at SISSA mathLab, Mathematics Area, SISSA – International School for Advanced Studies, Trieste, Italy.
- Lecturer in the PhD program in Mathematical Analysis, Modelling and Applications (SISSA), Master in High Performance Computing (SISSA-ICTP), Master in Mathematics (University of Trieste).
-SISSA Director’s Delegate for Valorisation of Knowledge, Innovation, Technology Transfer and Industrial Cooperation (2016-)
-SISSA Direction: member of the Web Commission (2014-), member of the High Performance Computing Advisory Board (2014-), member of the Open Access Committee of SISSA Library (2016-). Delegate of SISSA director in the Scientific Committee of ARPA-FVG (Friuli Venezia Giulia regional agency for environment protection).
-Faculty Advisor of the SISSA SIAM Student Chapter, September 2015-
–CVS Computing and Visualization in Science, Associate Editor, Responsible of Model Reduction Issues, 2016-
–SIAM SINUM, Journal on Numerical Analysis, Associate Editor, 2016-
–SIAM/ASA JUQ, Journal of Uncertainty Quantification, Associate Editor, 2013-
- 2012 – 2014
- SISSA Research Excellence Grant for independent research NOFYSAS (New Opportunities For Young Scientists at SISSA: “Computational and geometrical reduction strategies for the simulation, control and optimization of complex systems”). SISSA mathLab, Mathematics Area, SISSA – International School for Advanced Studies, Trieste, Italy. Lecturer in the PhD program in Mathematical Analysis, Modelling and Applications.
- 2008 – 2012
- Researcher and Lecturer (and external scientific collaborator 2012- 2015). Chair of Modelling and Scientific Computing, EPFL – École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland. Lecturer in the Doctoral School of Mathematics and Mechanics and at Section of Mathematics.
- 2006 – 2008
- Post Doctoral Associate Researcher (and Research Affiliate 2008 – 2014). MIT – Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston MA, USA, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Center for Computational Engineering, Prof. A.T. Patera.
- 2002 – 2006
- Research Assistant. Chair of Modelling and Scientific Computing, EPFL – École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland, Prof. A. Quarteroni.
- PhD in Applied Mathematics. Chair of Modelling and Scientific Computing, EPFL – École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland (avec mention) [Phd Thesis].
- Master of Science (Laurea Magistrale) in Aerospace Engineering, Aerodynamics at Politecnico di Milano, Italy, cum laude [Master Thesis].
–The 2004 Bill Morton CFD Prize Winner. Institute of Computational Fluid Dynamics, University of Oxford (UK).
–ECCOMAS Ph.D Award 2005. European Community on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences Award for the best Ph.D thesis in Computational Science and Engineering of 2005.
–Springer Computational Science and Engineering Prize 2009 with Cuong Nguyen and Phuong Huynh; Pics  .
-July 2014, ECCOMAS Jacques Louis Lions Award in Computational Mathematics for researchers under 40 years old. SISSA announcement and ECCOMAS links. Award ceremony at WCCM 11, ECCM V, ECFD VI in Barcelona, Spain on July 21, 2014. Ceremony video, J.L.Lions Lecture video.
-ERC CoG 2015, European Research Council Consolidator Grant for Project AROMA-CFD, Advanced Reduced Order Methods with Applications in Computational Fluid Dynamics.
“We all use math every day; to predict weather, to tell time, to handle money. Math is more than formulas or equations;
it’s logic, it’s rationality, it’s using your mind to solve the biggest mysteries we know”….