23-24 May 2003
Advisory Board: Marco Fabbrichesi (INFN, Italy), Stevan Harnad (University of Southampton, UK), Stefano Mizzaro (University of Udine, Italy) and Corrado Pettenati (CERN Library, Switzerland).
Partially supported by the European Commission (grant ILAS-IST-1999-90178).
Peer Review in the Age of Open Archives
- Natura of peer review:
- Impact of peer review
- History (and the future) of peer review
- The Web improves peer review/Peer review improves the Web?
- Means of optimizing peer review online:
- Referee selection
- Relation of peer review to peer commentary, preprints, and self-selected feedback
- Impact factors and peer review
- Friday, 23 May 2003
- 9:30-9:45 Welcome
- 9:45-10:45 Stevan Harnad (Université du Quebec, Montreal): PostGutenberg Peer Review: Invariant Essentials and Newfound Efficiencies
- 11:00-12:00 Travis C. Brooks (SPIRES, Stanford):
Breaking and Remaking Peer Review with the SPIRES Databases, Our Experience
- 12-00-13-00 Gerry McKiernan (Iowa State University Library, Ames): Alternative Peer Review: Quality Management for 21st Century Scholarship
- 14:30-15:30 Rudiger Voss (CERN, Geneva): Peer Review in the Era of Large-Scale Projects: the Case of Experimental Particle Physics
- 15:30-16:30 Daniela Luzi, Adriana Valente (IRPPS, CNR, Rome): The Role of Open Archives in Overcoming the Limits of Centralisation and
- 16:45-17:45 Daniele Amati (SISSA, Trieste): Peer Review: the Experience of JHEP
- Saturday, 24 May 2003
- 9:30-10:30 Gerry McKiernan (Iowa State University Library, Ames): Web-based Journal Manuscript Management and Peer-Review Software and Systems ---> slides
- 10:45-11:45 Stefano Mizzaro (University of Udine, Udine): Peer Review Is Dead, Long Live Peer Review! ---> slides
- 11:45-12:45 Jean-Claude Guédon (Université de Montréal) Open Access and Peer Review : Rethinking the Evaluation of Scientifc Works
14:30-15:30 Nico Pitrelli, Mauro Scanu (ILAS, Trieste), Open Archives and Other Technologies: a Pilot Study on Scientists Perception ---> slides
15:30-16:00 Paola Gargiulo (CASPUR, Rome):
SPARC Europe, Its Initiatives, Activities and Contributions to the Alternative Publishing World
- 16:15-17:45 Webcasted Round Table and Summary
The workshop will be held at SISSA (Conference Room D). SISSA is part of the Miramare campus.
See the map of the Miramare campus. Also useful:
For hotel accomodations, please contact Claudia Parma.